Montgomery County (IL)
Genealogical Society

Present Towns in Montgomery County


Butler
Platted in 1855 on land entered by William Seward, Butler is located in Butler Grove Township.  When the St. Louis & Terre Haute Railroad reached Butler in 1855 and bypassed the small village of Woodsboro to the south, William Wood moved his store from Woodsboro to Butler.  The folks at Butler and Mr. Wood had conflicts and Mr. Wood moved to build the town of Melrose, a part of present day Witt.

Butler is home to the Montgomery County Fair and its Annual Homecoming, featuring truck and tractor pulls.
Coalton
Platted in 1913, Coalton is located on the southwestern edge of the town of Nokomis.  It began with the sinking of the coal shaft nearby, providing much needed housing for the miners.
Coffeen
Platted in 1881, Coffeen is located in East Fork Township.  When the Cloverleaf Railroad was built across land belonging to G. F. Coffeen, he platted the town at the intersection of the railroad and the Hillsboro to Vandalia road.  A public park was platted, trees were planted and lots were sold.  A coal mine was sunk and was prosperous for quite a number of years.
Donnellson
Platted in 1860, Donnellson is located mostly in Grisham Township.  Originally platted on forty acres of land owned by Carson Donnell.  In 1881, the Cloverleaf Railroad was built through Donnellson providing a better means for the transporting of livestock and grain.
Farmersville
Platted in 1893, Farmersville is located in Bois D'Arc Township.  Built along the Chicago, Peoria and St. Louis Railroad (Illinois Central), the community was named for "a community of farmers".
Fillmore
Platted in 1881, Fillmore is located in Fillmore Township.  Along the newly built Cloverleaf Railroad, Fillmore boasted three general stores, one grocery store, two hardware stores, two restaurants, one hotel, one harness shop, two barber shops, two blacksmith shops, two garages, one livery barn, one grain elevator, one poultry house, one stock buyer, two banks, electric lights and two telephone service providers.
Harvel
Platted in 1869, Harvel is located in Harvel Township.  Built on land owned by John Harvel, where its name originated.  It is located on the Montgomery and Christian county line with a small part of the town in Christian County.  Harvel was built along the Wabash Railroad.
Hillsboro
Platted in 1823, Hillsboro is the county seat of Montgomery County.  Hillsboro is the second site for this honor, with Hamilton as the first site chosen.  The choosing of a new site was due to conflict over Hamilton not being centrally located in the county.

The original town, consisting of 20 acres, was donated by Newton Coffey.  Boundaries for the original town were on the south, Wood Street; on the west, Hamilton Street; on the east, Broad Street, and on the north, almost to Brailley Street.
Irving
Platted in 1863, Irving is located in Irving Township.  The first storehouse built within its limits was in 1846 by William S. Berry and Thomas G. Black long before the village was there.  The small settlement began at that time, attracting other business and residents, but it was not until years later that a plat was made and lots sold within the boundaries of Irving.  In 1856, the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad, later known as the Big Four, was built through the settlement and plans began for the platting of a town.
Litchfield
Platted in 1853 by Thomas Gray, the 80 acre tract was named Huntsville.   In 1855, with the building of the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad, the railroad decided to locate through Huntsville.  This decision became the death of the village of Hardinsburg due to the railroad going to the north.  In 1855, four brothers, surnamed Litchfield, came from New York in connection with the railroad.  With their arrival and the purchase of a large amount of land, the Litchfield family became the major landowner.  When the railroad was looking for a place to establish terminal and car works, the Litchfield's were willing to donate the land needed by the railroad and securing the growth of this new town.  The name was changed from Huntsville to Litchfield.  The car works employed over 150 trained mechanics and became the leader in the town's industrial development.  Litchfield became the only town in the county with four different railroads passing through; the Terre Haute & Alton (Big Four), the Jacksonville Southeastern (Burlington), the Chicago, Peoria & St Louis (IL Central), and the Wabash.
Nokomis
Platted in 1856, Nokomis is located in Nokomis Township.  Built with the arrival of the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad, later known as the Big Four, Nokomis has prospered.  A coal mine was sunk nearby. 
Ohlman
Platted in 1886, Ohlman is the only town in Audubon Township.  Capt. Michael Ohlman, a steamboat captain, planned the town along the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad, later known as the Big Four, which had been built across the township in 1856.
Panama
Platted in 1907, Panama is located in Grisham Township.  The Montgomery-Bond county line runs through the village with part in each county.  A vein of coal was located, the shaft sunk, and the village of Panama was built around it.  Most of the early residents were miners who immigrated here from foreign lands.
Raymond
Platted in 1870, Raymond is located in Raymond Township.  This was at the time as the building of the Wabash Railroad.  Shortly after, houses were built, stores were opened, and a warehouse for grain was built.
Schram City & Kortkamp aka Pocock
Along the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad, a station was secured on property owned by a Mr. Pocock.  Early railroad records indicate this station as Pocock.  A coal mine and shaft were sunk, houses were erected, and William Kortkamp was named as mine manager.  The town was called Kortkamp.  In 1906, Mr. Schram proposed to establish a large plant for the manufacture of the Schram automatic glass jar.  A town was platted and the building of houses started.  A schoolhouse was built between Schram City and Kortkamp and the two small villages shared the school.  When incorporated, both towns merged and used the Schram City name.
Taylor Springs
Taylor Springs is located one and one-half miles south of Hillsboro along the Big Four Railroad.  Taylor Springs was the home of the largest smelter in the world, the American Acid Company.  There was also a coal mine.  Several housing areas were established; Frametown, Hillcrest and Summit Heights, which are all part of present day Taylor Springs. 
Van Burensburg
Laid out in 1837 and platted in 1842, VanBurensburg is located in Fillmore Township.  It is located in the south east corner of that township near the Fayette and Bond county lines.  The original plat contained 40 lots and a town square.  Later another 150 lots were platted and the name was changed to Hurricane.  The Cloverleaf Railroad bypassed the little 'burg' and the hoped for growth did not happen.
Waggoner
Platted in 1886, Waggoner is located in Pitman Township along the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis (Illinois Central) Railroad.  In the early years, Waggoner boasted four general stores, two restaurants, one hotel, a lumber yard, a bank, a post office, an electric light system, two telephone providers, and more.
Walshville
In 1850, a storehouse was built where the village of Walshville now is.  It was later that Michael Walsh looked towards the future.  He platted the town, named for him, into 16 blocks with 8 lots per block.  The Jacksonville Southeastern Railroad (Burlington) runs through Walshville.
Wenonah
About one mile north of Nokomis, a coal mine was sunk.  In 1905, Wenonah was platted for housing for the coal miners.  The plat consisted of 12 blocks, with 12 lots per block.
Witt
In 1868, William Wood platted a town on the south side of the Terre Haute & Alton Railroad (later the Big Four).  Mr. Wood had founded Woodsboro in the 1850's, then went to Butler, before started a new town here.  A year later, when the town failed to grow, he sold his town Melrose to Thos. Saunders of Philadelphia.  When turned down for a post office, due to another town named Melrose, Mr. Saunders called the town Witt.  Mr. Wood proceded to build another town on the other side of the railroad from the town he had sold.  This second town he named Chance.  In 1894, George W. Paisley and others sunk a coal mine one mile south of Witt.  He then platted a town, calling it Paisley, to accomodate the miners need for housing. 

The village of Witt, including Chance, was incorporated in 1895.  In 1905, Paisley was annexed into the village of Witt.